Thursday 22 April 2010

Drewrybashing

DSCF3512

Last night made a card footplate to go around the Life Like GP38 chassis that I'm planning on using for my Drewrybash diesel.  I'm was concerned that my design was going to be too long for the chassis, as it is around 13cm long, the chassis is just under 10cm to the end of the bogies, or about 12cm to the ends of the rapido couplers (which I don't plan on using). Building the footplate confirmed that is was too long, so I've now got to decide how to make the loco shorter. I posted this on my workbench thread on ngrm-online and the consensus seems to be that I need to remove one body panel. Other ways of saving length would be changing to a single bonnet design, reducing the length of the footplate at the ends of the loco, however both of these would make it look more like the loco the kit is supposed to build. I'll have to re-read the advice I received on how the mechanics of this loco would affect the bonnet designs, and then do a bit of experimentation to see if I can come up with something I'm happy with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like there are two panels on the left hand end. Why not take one out to make it a stubby bonnet?

Zabdiel said...

That is an option. It would give it similar proportions to your MK48 inspired diesel. I do like the proportions of the MK48