Thursday 10 September 2009

Riverside

Riverside
Riverside by Fairlight Works, CC

Yesterday I spotted this photo which Steve Fulljames took at the Welshpool & Llanfair Gala. It stuck me that it'd make a good section on a shelf layout. The front edge of the baseboard could be cut to match the curve of the river with a few feet of the river modelled. The trees would disguise the fact that the layout was narrow. The trees in the middle distance provide a good exit point form the scene. Since I don't know what is behind the camera I can assume that the something similar happens there and make the module a couple of feet long in 009. Ian Holmes reminded me of this photo today when I read his post about a mystery baseboard which would be ideal for a scene like this. I also found Neil Rushby's other blog today and I've been reading some of his ideas about presentation which are similar to the ideas I'd had about this mini layout.

Of course it has the disadvantage that it'd be operationally rather dull, but it would work as somewhere to photograph stock, or part of a larger layout. I probably won't build it of course, but if I blog about it then it'll be here if I want to come back to it later.

3 comments:

Iain Robinson said...

As a boy I always fancied building a model of that stretch of railway along the Avon in Bristol...essentially a line coming out of a tunnel and running beside a river. There's something very satisfying in that arrangement, maybe it appeals to the subconscious. Anyway, this is a great pic and I think it would make a nice little diorama.

stephen said...

Obviously I was behind the camera! But I do have some more photos I didn't upload of small culverts and other details on the same bit of line, I can send them over if you like.

And they use mini-sized concrete sleepers down there. Cute!

Zabdiel said...

I should have seen that comment coming! Yes please, I'd be like to see some more photos.